University of Wisconsin-Madison Skip navigationDepartment of PhysicsSearchSite MapUW Home


UW Home Page


News & Events

Colloquia & Seminars

Research Groups


Prospective Students

Graduate Students

Undergraduate Students


Physics Library

For the Public




Find Us

Contact Us


Department of Physics
Graduate Students


Graduate work may commence at the beginning of the fall, spring or summer term. The department will consider an application for financial support to begin graduate work at any time. Most students begin graduate work in the fall semester, and applications for financial support should be started during the previous fall. Applicants are urged to visit our campus and department. You may seek assistance in arranging a visit and appointments with specific faculty by calling (608) 262-9678 or by emailing

A select number of incoming students begin their graduate career with a fellowship. Typically, however, a graduate student is first appointed as a teaching assistant. Teaching assistants assist faculty members in the introductory physics courses, generally by teaching discussion and laboratory sections. Later, as a research assistant, the student works with a major professor on a mutually agreed research program.



Questions? Email physgrad at

Last updated: 05/24/2010
  © 2007 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System Top of Page