Re: map_set question

> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to decide the default paramter value LIMIT that is
> > used in MAP_SET so that if I use it that will generate the same result as
> > the one that I don't use it.  For example, how to find 'limit' so that the
> > following two commands will generate the same results.
> >
> >    MAP_SET, 60, 0, /ORTHO, /GRID, /CONTINENT
> > and
> >    MAP_SET, 60, 0, /ORTHO, /GRID, /CONTINENT, $
> >             LIMIT=[latmin, lonmin, latmax, lonmax]
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Gary
>
> See map_set.pro source code in the IDL library.  I've looked at this in detail
> and can dig it up if it is not obvious.  For the many questions on doing polar
> mapping posted to this news group, there is a verifiable bug in either map_set
> or convert_coord.  I have been hoping RSI will fix this but I have developed a
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                     In your dreams, and mine too!
                     We have all suffered under a policy of
                     adding new gee-whiz features to a
                     software package that already has numerous
                     problems.  Maybe I wouldn't be so sore on
                     this point if....

                     1)  IDL weren't so dang expensive.
                         Are we getting what we paid for?
                         Sure.  We paid for a broken package,
                         and we have a broken package!

                     2)  I hadn't spent so much time "fixing"
                         their code, or dreaming up work-arounds
                         that allow me to do what the software
                         purports to do "painlessly."

                     3)  They would respond to users demands for
                         bug fixes in routines where we have spent
                         the time to document its shortcomings.
                         And we aren't even on the payroll!

To substantiate my "letting off steam", why can't RSI make work the
example which is cited above, or how about this one...

map_set,limit=[-30,-120,20,-55],/cont,/iso,/merc  ;Nino III region (For El Nino)
map_continents, /fill

Take away the /merc keyword, and you have a different fill problem!
If I want proper continent filling I have to use NCAR graphics or GrADS.
If it is advertised as a feature of the software, it sure would be nice
to be able to count on it.  This is just *one* illustration of a very
annoying featureless feature.  I spent hours last week trying to assist
someone with a contouring problem.  SOLUTION:  use a different software
package.  Some days I think RSI should take the word "visualization" out
of the title of their software... "a complete computing environment for the
interactive analysis and visualization of scientific and engineering data."

The manufacturer of my automobile claims my car is safe to drive, and
won't explode when I start it.  I have driven that car 146,776 miles,
and so far the claim is true.  How far have you driven IDL?
Has it ever not performed as advertised?  When I take my car in for
repairs, I pay them only if the repairs have been done properly.
I have been pleased with these repairs.  It allows me to get to where
I have to go with my *own* car.  That's one car.  I don't have to own
a different car for traveling North, South, East, or West.  This one car
travels in all directions.

Why doesn't IDL perform as the documentation indicates?
    (For at least 146,776 miles, that is.)

Why does IDL often explode when I start it?

Why do necessary repairs go undone?  How will that affect future driving?

Why must I keep paying for repairs ($3000/year for support and updates)
that are not being done properly?

Why must I rely on other software to handle visualization situations
    that IDL can't seem to cope with?

Now that I've spouted off I probably won't have to worry about
filling out the next survey sent around by RSI. ;)  I love the
theory behind this software, it is the practical implementation
and maintenance of this theory that concerns me and causes me grief.

--
Andrew F. Loughe                   afl@cdc.noaa.gov
University of Colorado, CIRES      http://cdc.noaa.gov/~afl