Re: Baffled by color postscript

David Fanning, davidf@dfanning.com writes:

> But I'm still not sure a printer can PRINT 24-bit color.

    We have a Kodak dye-sublimation printer that does 300 dpi
continuous-tone with a nominal 8 bits per channel.  Eyeball
measurements of the contrast and gamut suggest it's really more like 7
bits per channel but it's certainly much better than 8-bit colour.
More expensive machines with higher resolution and wider output gamut
are available, including ones which use lasers to write onto
photographic paper.

    For us, not being able to print IDL-generated 24-bit output
without jaggies is a major tear jerker and is one of the reasons why
my love of IDL is strictly bounded.

Struan