Colour Tables

Okay does anyone have a good routine for creating colour tables - because I
can't get xpalette to work. It is one of the most unintuitive programs I've
ever seen. The interpolating thing is quite random and the fact that you have
to keep moving off a square then back on to see how it's chnaged is quite
frankly very annoying.

What I'd really want is nothing too fancy. The best situation would be if it
was like the screen you can get to someone from xpalette where you add
control points and stuff. Well if you could do that on a plot which had range
000000 -> FFFFFF and then add the control points and the prog used congrid to
make the table.

If no-one's written one then I think I'll do it. Any suggestions? Have others
had the same annoyances with xpalette?

Cheers,
Phil