on_IOerror

Hi,
Is type conversion error an I/O error?  In my error handling, there is a
possibility theat a user will goof and an alphabetic string is attempted
to convert to float.  For that (and other), I put in "catch", but type
conversion error gets passed to "on_IOerror" in the upper-level routine
instead of being handled by local "catch".
I know that "on_IOerror" supercedes "catch" for file I/O but type
conversion error does not seem to be the case for it. Wierd.
After all, how did RSInc classify errors? Which are I/O, and which are
"the rest"?
I will appreciate any word of wisdom on this.
Pavel