IDL and MPI

I've been making various attempts at "parallelizing" IDL (maybe an
oxymoron forevermore !) with no luck. E.g. I tried using a callable IDL
program as the interface to a multiprocessor program (written with MPI
library calls) on a Sun HPC 3500 system. The program compiled but didn't
run because of an apparent incompatibility between the multiprocessor
environment and the shareable library containing the callable IDL
functions. Since a lot of the people that participate in this group are
a lot more clever than I am I thought I'd ask the general question: Has
anybody been able to use IDL in conjunction with MPI (or PVM or any
other parallel library), and if so how did they do it ? Thanks for any
suggestions (and I'll be happy to summarize any replys)

-- KY

Karl Young
UCSF,VA Medical Center
MRS Unit (114M)