Re: netCDF - ... and file size

In article <373C8FDA.3C47B2@io.harvard.edu>, Martin Schultz
<mgs@io.harvard.edu> wrote:

>Martin Schultz wrote:
>>

>... the file size of my test netCDF file is practically identical to the
>size of my
>"primitive" binary file (all dat being stored as float). Wouldn't it be
>nice if netCDF would support compression? In my case that would mean a
>reduction by a factor of 4 (using gzip). Or would they loose
>cross-platform portability then?
>
>Martin.

The sister format (CDF) to netCDF does have compression
<http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/cdf_home.html>.  We have a nice ingest
routine (read_myCDF.pro) at
<ftp://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/CDAWlib/source/> (whole library tarred up
at <ftp://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/CDAWlib/unix/>).  See
<http://cdaweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/> fo plots using the library.

--
Robert.M.Candey@gsfc.nasa.gov           1-301-286-6707 (286-1771 fax)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 632