Re: behavior of arrays

Jack Saba <jack@icesat1.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

>I'm curious about the opinion of the group on this point. Does IDL
>function in this regard as most people want and/or expect, or would
>the more transparent behavior be preferred? I admit I hadn't thought
>in terms of the problem raised by R. Bauer, who needed the second
>redundant dimension that had disappeared. Are there other arguments
>for or against?

We've also been bit by the disappearing dimensions problem, where arrays of
dimensions [10,1] (for example) automatically turned into an array of dimension
[10] when we didn't want it to.  There are a lot of times when you want this to
happen, but there are also times when you don't.  I certainly wouldn't want IDL
to start second guessing us even more than it does already.

William Thompson