Re: Utilities for converting IDL4 handles to IDL5 pointers

Liam Gumley wrote:
> While converting IDL4 handles to IDL5 pointers in my SHARP application,
> I found it very useful to have pointer wrapper routines which behaved
> the same as the obsolete HANDLE_CREATE, HANDLE_FREE, and HANDLE_VALUE
> routines (type '? obsolete' at the IDL5 prompt for obsolete routine
> information). To assist others who may be converting from using handles
> to pointers, I've posted the wrapper routines at
>
> http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/~gumley/pointers.html

At the request of Craig Markwardt, I've modified the pointer utilities
so they can be used in IDL5 or IDL4. See the web page above for the
source code.

Cheers,
Liam.

PS: It was an interesting programming exercise figuring out how to avoid
having IDL4 encounter the IDL5 pointer dereference operator '*'.

--
Liam E. Gumley
Space Science and Engineering Center, UW-Madison