Set Precision???????????

Hi All

I'd like create a varible which always holds numbers out to 6 places
passed the decimal point, and 4 numbers before the decimal point (e.g.
1999.123456). I tried double
precision but this seems to only hold 8 digits total for decimal numbers.
However I would like to create a variable corresonding to a fraction of a
Year (e.g 1995.123456). I have not been able to find a procedure allowing
me to create  10 digit decimal number , without the number being rounded
off to 8 digits.
Does anyone know of a way to declare a variable to hold a 10 digit
decimal number?

- Thanks in advance