Mac display help

Hi, I have been using idl for about a year on a UNIX system, where I output
everything to a postscript file, looked at the postscript, and made
adjustments as necessary to xyouts, etc.  I have just gotten idl for
my Mac and of course can't do things that way.  I tried installing
GhostScript but it makes my computer crash every time. What I'd like
to do is have a display window that at least positions everything the way
it will come out when I write to postscript.  As it is now, the positions
and thicknesses are all weird.  I'm sorry if this is an old question
but does anyone know how to deal with the Mac display windows? Thanks
in advance for anyone's suggestions...
Barbara Cohen]
bcohen@lpl.arizona.edu