Re: Best,Fastest platform for IDL 5.2 (NT or UNIX)

This is not quite the comparison you wanted but perhaps
adds some insight.  I run IDL 5.2.1 on a 400 Mhz PII with
256 Mb and NT4 SP5, IDL 5.2.1 on an old SGI XZ with an
R4400 at 140 Mhz (???), and IDL 5.1 on a 195Mhz O2 R10000.
The only comparison that I have is for a monte carlo signal
processing program that uses double precision and does NOT
use a lot of memory.  Surprisingly the two SGIs perform
almost identically.  I think this is because 5.1 is not
built to use the higher performance floating point
libraries.  The PII runs at least 2x as fast as the SGIs.

If you can wait a few months I would suggest a dual PIII at
possibly 700 Mhz with the new 133 Mhz chipset from Intel
and either NT or linux.  I don't know if the dual PIII will
get you more performance (I doubt it) but it will certainly
help if you want to run your IDL program simultaneously
with something else.