Re: Another IDL twist

Ben Tupper wrote:
> I don't know why, but I do know it drove me bananas.  I wrote the
> following as a wrapper for most of the READ_* procedures. It is in the
> form of a FUNCTION rather than PROCEDURE.  I've only tried it on TIFF,
> JPEG and GIF so far.  If you try and have suggestions, please send them
> along.

I'm guessing that most people who read TIFF, JPEG, and GIF images from
disk actually want to *display* the images in IDL. Hence, I wrote a
procedure which makes it rather easy.

SHOWIMAGE displays images in GIF, BMP, PICT, TIFF, or JPEG format (the
format is detected automatically), e.g.

IDL> file = filepath('rose.jpg', subdir='examples/data')
IDL> showimage, file

Check it out at:
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/~gumley/imagetools.html

Note that IDL 5.2 is required, to allow automatic detection of image
format (i.e. the query_gif, query_bmp etc. functions in IDL 5.2 are
used).

Cheers,
Liam.

--
Liam E. Gumley
Space Science and Engineering Center, UW-Madison