Re: CALL_EXTERNAL with F90 on an SGI

Myron Brown wrote:

> I'm trying to use CALL_EXTERNAL on an SGI running IRIX 6.5 to call Fortran
> routines.  I have read the documentation for CALL_EXTERNAL and have looked
> at the examples provided with IDL.  My Fortran code looks similar to the
> examples, but I keep getting errors when I call CALL_EXTERNAL saying that it
> cannot find the routine.  The file is there.  I have checked the name of the
> subroutine I'm calling using 'nm'.  Is there something about doing this on
> the SGI that should be implemented differently?  I'm using standard MIPS
> Fortran 90 Fortran.  Any ideas?
>
> Also, I tried calling CALL_EXTERNAL using another file instead, this time an
> executable program.  Of course, it won't find an entry point, but it DID
> find the file!!  What's the difference.  Both files are in the same
> directory.

Maybe this web site will help:

  http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/~afl/code/call_external/describe.html

"nm" is helpful when trying to resolve symbols not found
in the table.  Notice the testing of mathematical functions in
the routine called primes.f; I had problems finding atan2 and datan2.

Good luck... it seems like a bit of a crap shoot when it comes
to resolving all the symbols.

--
| Andrew F. Loughe                 | email: afl@cdc.noaa.gov
| NOAA-CIRES CDC                   | web  : www.cdc.noaa.gov/~afl
| 325 Broadway   Mail Code R/E/CD1 | voice: (303)497-6211
| Boulder, CO  80303-3328          | fax  : (303)497-7013
"We must believe in free will, we have no choice"-Isaac B. Singer