Re: idl2matlab translate-o-matic

Liam E.Gumley (Liam.Gumley@ssec.wisc.edu) writes:

> I should say however that in the last year or so I've been doing a fair
> amount of work in IDL for Windows, and I've grown accustomed to it's
> quirks. However the editor is pretty basic compared to nedit.

I agree. I'm starting to like the IDLDE on Windows a LOT.
That new do-dah in the center that let's you immediately
go to the start of any program module in your file is a
godsend when you are writing object programs. And although
the Find features are not well documented, if you get
someone who knows what they are doing to show you how to
do it, they are amazing. For a non-EMACS user, I'm
pretty content. I would like to be able to split the screen,
though. :-)

I also agree that the editor on the UNIX version is awful,
especially so if you turn the chromocolors on. At least
configured on the Sun Workstation I saw recently. But I
thought it was trivial to add an EMACS editor to this.
(Can you tell I've never done it myself?) I know for a fact
that EMACS with the IDL mode is terrific, even if I
*can't* seem to memorize all those key combinations. :-(

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.