Re: point_lun

"R.Bauer" <R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de> writes:

> I have recognized today  point_lun makes differences between files
> written on UNIX or DOS
> for  following idl version.

This almost certainly has something to do with the difference between
end-of-line conventions in Unix and Windows worlds.  I believe that
windows/DOS uses a CR/LF while Unix simply uses an LF.

I don't understand *exactly* what is going wrong though, but it seems
that Windows may be assuming that a CR/LF pair are present in your
Unix file when only one of them is there.  What's wierd is that it's
using that information in the POINT_LUN call.  This may not be a bug
in IDL but rather in the Windows library that IDL uses.  The Microsoft
people probably don't even consider it a bug but a feature...

There are converters that can do the Unix<->DOS conversion for you,
but unfortunately it's an extra ugly step.

Craig