grayscale vs. color

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I am making some line
graphs (eps files) for a book, using IDL direct graphics.
Some of the graphs have several series and it would be nice
to use solid grey as an alternative to dot-dash-double-dot-dash-
double-dotdash or whatever for some lines.

In the past, I have always loaded a colortable and there is
always some color, not hard to find, that turns into the just
right shade of grey when it goes to the laser printer.  This color
is not always "grey"  --- it's whatever color prints out grey.

Trouble is, this time it's going to some imagesetter (no idea
which kind) far far away.  Plus they don't want color and they'll
probably freak if they see color.  I don't know what they'll say to
a grey-like-color in a color EPS file; maybe that's kosher, but isn't
there a way to have grayscale in a garden-variety B&W EPS file?

Is there a quick and dirty way to load a colortable that is
really just a grayscale?  I looked in the material I had but didn't
find anything.

TIA,
 -- Andrew
    noymer@my-deja.com