unexpected colors

Hello,

I'ld like to say that my code has only had 1 error in the last three
versions, but I don't want any of you to get a hernia from giggling.
Wow!

I have a widget application with two separate draw widgets.  The first
has GRAPHICS_LEVEL =2 (object graphics), the second has
GRAPHICS_LEVEL not set to anything (direct graphics.)   I am using
Liam's  IMDISP , but I have also used David's TVIMAGE and plain old
vanilla TV.   Here's the trouble, I'm getting a beautiful image
displayed in lovely colors... but it is supposed to be greyscale.   Even
if I call LoadCT,0 just prior to displaying the image, I get a colored
image instead.

I have narrowed down the occurance, but no the reason or the solution.
Below is the snippet that shows
where/when it occurs.

;---------START
  Wset,ImageWin
  IMDISP, Grid, Bottom = Bottom, NColors = NColors, Out_Pos = OutPos
  Plot, DataX, DataY, Psym = 1, Position = OutPos, /Normal, $
      /noErase, Color = !D.Table_Size-1

     ;Colors fine here

   oPreViewDrawWin -> Draw, oView

     ;now the colors have changed

;-------END

The object graphics are rendered correctly (placement and colors.)

I include added system information  below.

IDL> help, !version,/str
** Structure !VERSION, 5 tags, length=40:
   ARCH            STRING    'sparc'
   OS              STRING    'sunos'
   OS_FAMILY       STRING    'unix'
   RELEASE         STRING    '5.2'
   BUILD_DATE      STRING    'Oct 30 1998'

IDL> help,/device
Available Graphics Devices: CGM HP LJ NULL PCL PRINTER PS REGIS TEK X Z
Current graphics device: X
    Server: X11.0, Sun Microsystems, Inc., Release 3610
    Display Depth, Size: 8 bits, (1152,900)
    Visual Class: PseudoColor (3)
    Bits Per RGB: 8
    Physical Color Map Entries (Used / Total): 210 / 256
    Colormap: Shared, 210 colors.  Translation table: Enabled
    Graphics pixels: Combined, Dither Method: Ordered
    Write Mask: 255 (decimal) ff (hex)
    Graphics Function: 3 (copy)
    Current Font: <default>, Current TrueType Font: <default>
    Default Backing Store: Req from Server.
    Window Status: ---------------------
    id  typ(    x,  y,   backing store)    id  typ(   x,   y,   backing
store)
     0: Win( 640, 512, Req from Server)    33: Pix( 768, 600,
None)

Any suggestions?   Thanks

Ben
Debugger Emiritus
Center for Error Free Code the First Time

Ben Tupper

Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science
tupper@seadas.bigelow.org

pemaquidriver@tidewater.net