Re: IDLv5.4

Reading all these responses one might think that most of the people who
post here are quite unhappy with IDL. I noticed that any new version is
able to read and write ascii just fine. For sophisticated data exchange,
there are designated, specified formats, like CDF etc that can be read
by our own code or IDL built-in ones. IDL's .sav files in my
understanding are a proprietary format, and I am glad they are
platform-indpendent within the same IDL version - which I think the
purpose of .sav format is. Maybe we should not expect too much. Try
reading MSWord 2000 formatted file with MSWord 2 for Windows.

Cheers,
Pavel