Re: I for Interactive Programming? (was: widget_control and group_leader)

  For those willing to learn emacs and Carsten Dominik's marvelous
idlwave_shell mode, you would have no more problems with saving the
results of your 'tappling' at the keyboard. Just start up an instance
of idlwave_shell in emacs and tapple to your hearts delight, then
write the idlwave-shell buffer out to a file. Or, kill/yank
(i.e. cut/paste) it to another buffer, edit it and write that out to a
file.

This is almost the *only* way I develop code anymore, I try stuff
out in emacs/idlwave-shell and then cut/paste it to the 'work in
progress' file. (doesn't work for widgets programming, of course, but
in this area it's the debugging capabilities, which are totally
awesome *d00d* that recommend it)

No more need to remember to turn journalling on or to set
variables to assure that you save enough of your work.

  It does have a steep learning curve, especially if you're not used to
emacs or you're on a Windows/Mac system. If that's the case,
journalling is probably the best bet. But if you're moderately used to
emacs and on a unix system, emacs/idlwave-shell mode simply can't be
beat (IMHO) and it's well worth the effort!

Kudo's to Carsten for his fine work!

William Daffer

--
William Daffer: 818-354-0161: William.Daffer@jpl.nasa.gov