Re: GIF again.....

Dick,

    xv's current home is http://www.trilon.com/xv/.  I seem to recall
seeing something there (although I can't find it now) indicating that GIF
licensing is the reason there hasn't been a complete, new version of xv
since 3.10a in 1994!  (I am not a lawyer, so I'll refrain from taking this
any further.  Actually, I always thought that it was only _writing_ GIFs
that was illegal; but, as I said, IANAL.)  We're looking into working
around the lack of GIF support in IDL by using PNG (which was developed by
the W3C itself) instead :-).

    (The Web site does have a number of patches you can apply to the 3.10a
sources; my system manager recently rebuilt our copy with the patches, and
they seem to work great.  Not that it helps for what you want to do.)

    Usual disclamers apply: IANAL, I don't speak for NASA or Raytheon,
etc. etc.
                                                    Jeff Guerber