noclip=0 with postscript fonts

I am making some plots with data points labelled with value and station
name.  Some of them fall outside of the plotting window, and I would
like to supress these.  They still plot, even with noclip=0 in the call
to XYOUTS. After studying the online help page, I notice that it states
that "this keyword controls the clipping of vectors and vector-drawn
text." In other words, it doesn't work with software fonts (i.e.,
font=0).  Is there any way to achieve clipping with software fonts,
other than looping through the coordinates and checking them against the
plot limits (Yuck!) ?