[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: widget_control from call_external
- Subject: Re: widget_control from call_external
- From: davidf(at)dfanning.com (David Fanning)
- Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:05:16 -0700
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Fanning Software Consulting
- References: <email@example.com>
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:23786
firstname.lastname@example.org (email@example.com) writes:
> I have a c/c++ programme that is called from within a
> widget hierachy via call_external.
> As the computations made take fairly long, I want to update
> a status bar with a 'Percentage complete' from the C-routine,
> so the user doesn't get upset and thinks the programme died
> on him/her.
> How do I go about that???
Well, this will be difficult unless your can call your
C program in "chunks", or in some other way interrupt
it. It might be easier if you just know, in general,
how long it takes. Then you can set a "kitchen timer"
sort of progress indicator. As long as the cake is
baked by the time the timer goes off, no one seems
to care. :-)
You can see several ways to build such a progress
David Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting
Phone: 970-221-0438 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Coyote's Guide to IDL Programming: http://www.dfanning.com/
Toll-Free IDL Book Orders: 1-888-461-0155