Re: thumbnails

Dirk Fabian wrote:

> In article <MPG.150845c01328cd21989d75@news.frii.com>,
> David Fanning <davidf@dfanning.com> wrote:
> >steve (nobody@nowhere.com) writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone know how to produce *.eps files with thumbnails (in IDL 5.x)?
> >
> >IDL 5.4 has some new keywords for producing a PostScript preview
> >image: PRE_XSIZE, PRE_YSIZE, PRE_DEPTH. These are suppose to
> >allow you to create a preview, or thumbnail, image of a particular
> >size.
>
> >I think I'm going to stick to the tried and true way of
> >adding preview images in GhostView. :-(
>
> David, is this a Windows GhostView feature?  I don't see any options like
> this in the *nix versions.  This is what you use to put postscript into
> Powerpoint and the like presentations, isn't it?  I've heard that in
> powerpoint, you can't see a preview of the postcript plot while you are
> constructing the presentation, and can only see it during full display.

The epstool utility (which is part of GSview) converts PostScript files
to EPS format an optionally allows a TIFF preview to be added:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm

For example:

% epstool -b -t6p -oplot.eps plot.ps

Note that plot.ps would be created in IDL as a PostScript file in
Portrait orientation, *not* an EPS file.

The TIFF preview added by epstool is displayed onscreen when the
PostScript file is imported into applications such as Powerpoint or
Word. However the PostScript version is rendered when the document is
printed on a PostScript printer.

Cheers,
Liam.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/~gumley