color woes - redux

Hi, folks - a couple of weeks ago, I posted a request from a friend
about a color problem she is having on a UNIX system. It turns out
that she has 16-bit color running on her machine. I asked her to
send the xdpyinfo output, in the hope that some of you unix wizards
might be able to tell us how she can change the color settings on her
machine so that it is 8 or 24 bits. She is running IDL 5.4 on a Sun
sparc:

>1) version of IDL, and info about the display
>       IDL> print,!version

{ sparc sunos unix 5.4 Sep 25 2000      32      64}

xdpyinfo gives:

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    335
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 134
focus:  window 0x200000e, revert to Parent

Do any of you know how to change the color settings to 24-bit
color, based on this information? If not, what additional information
should I try to get?

Thanks! (Please cc: any replies to rdanos@astro.ucla.edu, since Rebecca
does
not have access to this newsgroup.)