Re: color woes - redux

"Richard G. French" wrote:
> Hi, folks - a couple of weeks ago, I posted a request from a friend
> about a color problem she is having on a UNIX system. It turns out
> that she has 16-bit color running on her machine. I asked her to
> send the xdpyinfo output, in the hope that some of you unix wizards
> might be able to tell us how she can change the color settings on her
> machine so that it is 8 or 24 bits. She is running IDL 5.4 on a Sun
> sparc:
>
> >1) version of IDL, and info about the display
> >       IDL> print,!version
>
> { sparc sunos unix 5.4 Sep 25 2000      32      64}
>
> xdpyinfo gives:
>
> name of display:    :0.0
> version number:    11.0
> vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
> vendor release number:    335
> maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
> motion buffer size:  256
> bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
> image byte order:    LSBFirst
> number of supported pixmap formats:    2
> supported pixmap formats:
>     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
> keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 134
> focus:  window 0x200000e, revert to Parent
>
> Do any of you know how to change the color settings to 24-bit
> color, based on this information? If not, what additional information
> should I try to get?
>
> Thanks! (Please cc: any replies to rdanos@astro.ucla.edu, since Rebecca
> does not have access to this newsgroup.)

It appears that while IDL is running on a Sun box, the local terminal is
a Linux box. Is this correct? If so, you need to reconfigure the window
manager on the Linux box, not the Sun box.

The following tech tip from RSI shows how to reconfigure the window
manager on a Linux box:
http://www.rsinc.com/services/output.cfm?tip_id=2395

Cheers,
Liam.