sec : U Re: Can't READ_DICOM without DIALOG_PICKFILE

Ivan Zimine wrote:

> "Emmler, Oliver" wrote:
> >
> > i try to read DICOM-Files from a directory directly under \IDL53\.. .
> > The directory name is \IDL53\radiologie\
> > The term ...
> > file = READ_DICOM(DIALOG_PICKFILE())
> >
> > ... works fine for this.
> >
> > Now i want to automate the reading of the files but with
> >
> > file = READ_DICOM(FILEPATH('MC002.dcm', SUBDIR=['radiologie']))
>
> is 'radiologie' a subdirectory of your IDL installation directory?
> if not, you may look at ROOT_DIR keyword for FILEPATH.
>
> or try something like
>
> datadir = "c:\path\to\data\"
> img = read_dicom(datadir+"MC002.dcm")
>
> --
> Ivan Zimine                   |   ivan.zimine@physics.unige.ch
> Dpt. of Radiology             |   (+41 22) 372 70 70
> Geneva University Hospitals   |

Or it might be that the DICOM file is "compressed", a format that the
IDL
DICOM routines cannot read.

You might want to use one of the free DICOM viewers to extract and save
the
compressed JPEG image to a new file perhaps?

I hear that RSI is releasing a new medical product later this year which
will
handle compressed DICOM files, but you'll have to fork out $$$$ for
it...

It's all a bit of a pain - I'd llike to be able to read the latest scans
of
my very own Astrocytoma via IDL, but no, not with IDL.

Andrew

 Andrew D. Cool                                 .->-.
 Electromagnetics & Propagation Group           `-<-'
 Surveillance Systems Division               Transmitted on
 Defence Science & Technology Organisation   100% recycled
 PO Box 1500, Salisbury                        electrons
 South Australia 5108

 Phone : 061 8 8259 5740     Fax : 061 8 8259 6673
 Email  : andrew.cool@dsto.defence.gov.au
 ------------------  Personal Opinions Voiced here Only --------------