[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
routine to translate DEC microvax Floating point...
- Subject: routine to translate DEC microvax Floating point...
- From: Richard French <rfrench(at)wellesley.edu>
- Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:44:58 -0400
- Newsgroups: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
- Organization: Wellesley College
- Xref: news.doit.wisc.edu comp.lang.idl-pvwave:25163
Hi, friends -
I have some 20-year old data in binary floating point format (DEC
running ULTRIX4.4). Unfortunately, that ancient machine, while still
no longer connect to the internet, so my old subterfuge of converting
point to ascii on the microvax, piping across the network to my Alpha
and then reconverting it to binary no longer works. I do have the binary
my new machine, but I don't know how the bits are packed for DEC
floating point format, and my web prowls have not revealed the answer.
I'm hoping that some of you may know how to decode floating point
(and possibly also double precision) from DEC microvax format to IEEE. I
think I recall seeing some IDL utilties to do this once, but I have not
to track them down.
Thanks very much for any and all leads!