Which Graphics Card?

Hi Folks,

OK, the wife came home from the last day of school with
a brochure for a special deal on computers. (Thanks to
the recent passage of the mill levy all classrooms are
getting an updated PC.) The company (a large one who
has not done too well lately) has offered to let school
district employees in on the deal. The prices are
fantastic. (But, alas, that super-thin Sony laptop
I've been lusting after ever since the chiropractor
told me to stop lugging my mammoth Dell machine around,
is not on the list.)

But this baby needs a graphics card. Here's my question:
what's the best graphics card on the market for under $500?
It should make IDL object graphics scream. :-)

Cheers,

David

--
David Fanning, Ph.D.