Re: EPS problem

Stuart wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have a routine that Plots to an eps file, one of the keywords I can
> give the
> routine is a Plot_Size.  The problem is this: when setting the plot
> size to 5.0 by 5.0 (cm) the resulting eps file has the labels on the x
> and y axis chopped off!  They are completely missing.  When setting
> the plot size to 10.0 by 10.0 (cm) the x and y labels are displayed.
> Surely the eps file should be more-or-less the same in both cases
> since postscript is scalable?  The only
> problem with the 10.0 by 10.0 plot when I rescale (with width=5.0cm)
> in LaTeX is that the text labels are too tiny to read, which wasn't
> the case with the 5.0 by 5.0 plot.
>
> Any idea ideas what's going wrong when the Plot_Size is set to 5.0 by
> 5.0?
> thanks in advance,

Dear Stuart,

we are using a plot envrionment to solve such problems.
There are many less or more difficulty things to know to make a
quadratic plot
in portrait or landscape.

The plot environment is described in my publication (german)
with lots of examples.

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

Some examples you can see at:

http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_source/idl_html/idl_work_idl_work.examples.category.htm#7

In our environment
plot.landscape=2 --> quadratic plot in portrait
plot.landscape=3 --> quadratic plot in landscape

plot.psflag=0 --> output in window on screen
plot.psflag=1 --> PS
plot.psflag=2 --> EPS

If you prefer your own plot routines then here is a bit of
the theory for EPS for a quadratic plot in portrait.

device,filename='idl',encapsulated=1,isolatin1=1,preview=0.,$
  yoffset=0. ,ysize=29.7  ,xoffset=0.,xsize=21.0,$
  /color, BITS=8,/portrait

now in norm coordinates the length of 5cm for X and Y Axes must be
calculated.

then this data must be given by the position keyword to plot.

Behind the plot and the device,/close the bounding box is to big.

With a command like
epstool -b -c -ofile.eps good.eps

the bounding box will be set to the best size.

hope this helps

regards

Reimar

--
Reimar Bauer

Institut fuer Stratosphaerische Chemie (ICG-1)
Forschungszentrum Juelich
email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/
a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Juelich
http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg1/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html

http://www.fz-juelich.de/zb/text/publikation/juel3786.html

read something about linux / windows
http://www.suse.de/de/news/hotnews/MS.html