Re: Version Control

Aaron Birenboim wrote:

> Craig Markwardt wrote:
> >
> > Paul van Delst <paul.vandelst@noaa.gov> writes:

> > > I use CVS (Concurrent Versions System) for everything: IDL source
> > > code, Fortran source, shell source code, etc....
> >
> > I second this.  I also use CVS to keep multiple copies on different
> > machines synchronized (ie, server, desktop machine, laptop).
>
> I third.
>
> CVS is THE DE-FACTO standard.  It is used by ALL significant
> open source software efforts.
>
> The ONLY version control I would accept in IDL would
> be hooks in IDLDE to work with CVS.

Yes, but who needs the IDLDE?  We make extensive use of CVS, and the VC
version control mode, along with the IDLWAVE IDL development environment
under Emacs make a powerful combination.  There are even other
power-user CVS modes available, but VC does almost everything.  My
favorite?  "Hmm... I've really trashed this file.  Wonder what I did?"
[C-x v =], and presto, a diff between on server and local versions.
Other favorite [C-x v g]: color-coded annotated line-by-line display of
last edit date and person.  Who's this damn jds screwing with my code...
ohhh.

JD