Certificate in Physics (CERT 783)

Certificate in Physics

The department offers an undergraduate certificate in Physics. An understanding of
the physical universe informs many disciplines. The study of Physics is essential to
understanding nature and to advancing technology in the coming century. A certificate
in Physics increases the opportunities for students to become better informed on
technological issues at the local, state, national, and international levels.
The certificate (18 credits) is designed to serve undergraduates majoring in biology,
chemistry, mathematics, engineering, education and other fields who wish to extend their
study of Physics beyond what may be required or recommended for their major without
completing the full L&S Physics major requirements (35 credits including 6 intermediate/
advanced lab credits).

The Certificate Requirements

To earn a certificate in Physics, a student must complete at least 18 credits in Physics
courses at the “intermediate” level or higher. Graduate-level courses are permitted, but on a case by case basis. No more than 3 credits of independent study and no special topics courses may be used to satisfy
this requirement. Transfer or AP credit for 200-level introductory Physics is acceptable for
meeting the requirements of the certificate. EMA 201 and EMA 202 or EMA 201 and ME
240 may be substituted for Physics 201 and together count for 5 credits. Otherwise, only
courses within the department (or cross-listed with Physics) are acceptable. Only one course
from each of the three semesters of introductory Physics can be counted.

1. All undergraduates and special students are eligible (physics majors are not eligible).
2. The certificate will be awarded upon completion of requirements.
3. At least nine of the credits must be in residence.
4. Only graded courses may be used toward the certificate.
5. A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is required for courses used toward the certificate.

To Declare a Physics Certificate

To declare a certificate in Physics you must fill out a major/certificate declaration form. An Undergraduate Physics Advisor must sign the form. Students can declare the physics certificate at any time after completing one physics course on the Madison campus. In all cases, the certificate must be declared before the semester in which you graduate. The form to declare the certificate can be obtained at the department office in 2320 Chamberlin Hall or in the link below. Note: You should bring a copy of your current "course history" when you talk with the undergraduate advisor.

Major/Certificate Declaration Form


Jan Egedal
  3275 Chamberlin Hall

Dan McCammon
  6207 Chamberlin Hall

Deniz Yavuz
  5320 Chamberlin Hall


©2013 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System