Graduate Financial Support

Financial Support for Graduate Students in Physics 

Graduate work may commence at the beginning of the fall, spring or summer term, though the department will consider an application for financial support to begin graduate work in the summer and fall only. Most students begin graduate work in the fall semester, and applications for financial support should be started during the previous fall.  

A select number of incoming students begin their graduate career with a fellowship. Typically, however, a graduate student is first appointed as a teaching assistant. Teaching assistants assist faculty members in the introductory physics courses, generally by teaching discussion and laboratory sections. Later, as a research assistant, the student works with a major professor on a mutually agreed research program.

©2013 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System