Climate & Diversity
The Physics Department is a diverse group of people. We strive to establish, maintain, and improve an open-minded and supportive community in which to work, teach and learn. We view all members of the community as equals. If you see room for improvement in an aspect of climate or diversity within the Physics Department, please contact the chair of the climate and diversity committee. Several resources are available for faculty, staff and students who seek assistance:
- If you have a specific incident or concern you would like to discuss with a faculty member, please contact a faculty member of the committee.
- If you prefer to talk to a staff member, please contact the department administrator.
- If you feel that you would benefit from professional counseling, UW Madison is ready to help. Faculty and staff should contact Employee Assistance (http://eao.wisc.edu). Students should contact University Health Services (http://www.uhs.wisc.edu).
Physics Department Climate & Diversity Committee Members
- Everett (committee chair & faculty)
- Egedal (faculty)
- McDermott (faculty)
- Friessen (scientist)
- Hrenak (staff)
UW Campus/System Diversity Information and Resources
- Office for Equity and Diversity
- Campus Diversity Web Site
- Title IX
- UW Diversity in Recruitment Toolkit
- UW SearchBook: Searching for Excellence & Diversity: A Guide for Search Committee Chairs
- UW Graduate School Diversity Web Site
- Physics Learning Center (assists disadvantaged groups with physics study)
- WiscAMP Wisconsin Alliance for Minority Participation in STEM
- UW WISEL Women in Science & Engineering Leadership Institute
- UW LGBT Campus Center
- out in STEM
- UW System Inclusivity Initiative for LGBTQ People
National Societies and Resources
These organizations offer information and career advice; fellowships, scholarships and awards; other resources.
- National Society of Black Physicists
- National Society of Hispanic Physicists
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science
- APS Minorities in Physics
- Association for Women in Science
- APS Women in Physics
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professional Inc.
- LGBTIQQAP+ Physicists
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
Science Funding Agency Programs
Diversity Training Opportunities & Diversity Events
- Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity (SEED) Seminars SEED Seminars Student SEED Seminars
- Continuing Studies Diversity Workshops
- Graduate Assistant Equity Workshops
- Sexual Harassment Information Sessions