Events at Physics
|<< Fall 2013||Spring 2014||Fall 2014 >>|
|Subscribe to receive email announcements of events|
Events on Thursday, March 6th, 2014
- Astronomy Colloquium
- "How Stars Move in Galactic Disks"
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: 4421 Sterling Hall
- Speaker: Carlos Vera-Ciro, UW Madison Astronomy Dept
- Abstract: I will discuss the radial motion of stars in galactic disks, triggered by resonant-scattering with spiral structures. In particular, I will assess the importance of this process on the overall structure of the galaxy and revisit some controversial conclusions on the subject, such as the emergence of a thick disk and how this correlates with the conservation of some integrals of motion.
- Host: Prof Richard Townsend/Audra Hernandez