IDL on FreeBSD

Hi,

I am desperatly trying to run IDL (V5.3) on FreeBSD 3.4 - but no
success!  I know that people have reported that previous versions of
IDL (5.2.x) are running fine.

I have modified the relevant shell scripts so that FreeBSD is
recognised as Linux OS. On execution idl immediatly crashes with a
Segmentation fault.  Other idl binaries such as idlde and lmstat
which belong to the distribution do the same.  Linux compatibility
is installed on my system and I believe nothing points to a missing
library problem. Also I have used brandelf - without success.
Interestingly idlhelp does work without problems. (It seems to be
linked differently).

I am new to FreeBSD. Does the Segmentation fault point towards a
particular kind of problem in this case? Can I check explicitly for
problems with libraries?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Joerg.