The UW Physics provides a backup service using the EMC Networker. We also utilize AFS backup volumes for quickly recovering "last night's files" in our AFS file space. If you need AFS files restored, please let us know ASAP. Recovering files from AFS backup volumes is very easily done; whereas recovering older AFS files is time consuming. We offer our backup service to faculty and staff. To request backups, please contact email@example.com.
Here are some important points about our backup service you should know...
- Backups attempts are made daily. Desktops and servers backups start in the middle of the night. Laptop backups begin every 15 minutes (but only one backup is made per client per day).
- If your computer was unavailable or becomes unavailable while a backup is in progress, then the server will try again the next day. No data is saved from the failed attempt.
- Full backups are made during the first weekend of each month. This can take quite awhile. A typical rate is 35MB/sec. Point 2 continues to be relevant here: If a full backup cannot be completed, your computer is not backed up!
- Backups are retained for a half year.
- In general we do not backup filesystems (disks) mounted under /Volumes (e.g. on computers running MacOS-X.) Please contact us if you need a disk mounted under /Volumes backed up.
- Our backup service has limited resouces. Should your backup sets grow too large, we will need to adjust how your system is backed up.
If you'd like help with backups, or have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note that you must send mail from a .edu, cern.ch, or desy.de mail account.)