Windows AFS setup
OpenAFS 1.7 on WinXP, Win7, and Win8
Download and Install Kerberos
- Download and install Kerberos for Windows here.
- Click "next", "accept", etc until the program is installed. If "Close Running Processes" appears with AFS Credentials Manager listed, open Task Manager and end process afscreds.exe .
Download current AFS 1.7x from http://openafs.org/pages/windows.html#1_7_64bit_downloads
The 32-bit package is not needed.
Install & Configure AFS
After running the installer, choose "Custom"
Be sure "Authentication for AFS" will be installed.
Be sure "Client configuration tool" will be installed. (Control Panel applet)
Choose New Settings.
default cell: physics.wisc.edu
Integrated login disabled
afs crypt security enabled
freelance mode enabled
lookup cells in DNS enabled
"Start AFS Credentials at Startup" : do not check. (If checked will open an AFS credentials prompt upon login.)
All the rest should be checked except "Show credentials window on startup".
There is a Control Panel applet that can be used to change default cell after installation.
Map useful folders to drive letters. Do not use OpenAFS context menus which claim to map a folder to a drive letter. Instead use Window's standard tool: Instructions here
Obtain AFS token
- Start the "Authentication" program in the OpenAFS Start Menu folder
- Enter your username and password.
- Tokens for more than one user can be gotten by pushing the "Obtain new tokens" button. Each user's token will be displayed in a different tab.
If this is not working for you, please send an email to email@example.com
Accessing AFS folders
Open a Windows Explorer window.
In the address bar place this text:
and push "Enter".