Events at Physics
Events on Tuesday, May 15th, 2012
- NPAC (Nuclear/Particle/Astro/Cosmo) Forum
- A neutrino beam to IceCube/PINGU?
- Time: 3:00 pm
- Place: 4274 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Walter Winter, University of Würzburg, Germany
- Abstract: We discuss the physics potential of a neutrino beam sent from one of the major accelerator laboratories on the Northern hemisphere to possible upgrades of the DeepCore array, named PINGU or MICA. As one possibility, we demonstrate that due to the parametric enhancement of the oscillation probability using a core-crossing baseline, a NuMI-like superbeam to PINGU with a relatively low intensity could easily measure the mass hierarchy.
- Host: Albrecht Karle