Events at Physics
Events on Tuesday, September 15th, 2015
- Chaos & Complex Systems Seminar
- Field Day Lab @ Wisconsin Institute for Discovery: At the intersection of media and education theory
- Time: 12:05 pm
- Place: 4274 Chamberlin (refreshments will be served)
- Speaker: David Gagnon, UW Department of Academic Technology
- Abstract: In this talk, David Gagnon, director of the Field Day Lab, will discuss how a methodology of Design Based Research is allowing for innovation at the intersection of media theory with education theory. Several prototypes and associated studies will be discussed, ranging from iPad games to teach thermodynamics to iPhone field research apps to scaffold ornithology education. The purpose of the talk is to both expose the exciting work happening within the lab, but also to seek new opportunities for collaboration with other UW researchers.
- Host: Sprott
- Theory Seminar (High Energy/Cosmology)
- High-mass H --> VV signal and Higgs width determination at the LHC
- Time: 3:00 pm
- Place: 5280 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Nikolas Kauer, University of London
- Abstract: A substantial off-shell high-mass Higgs signal in the gluon fusion and vector boson fusion H --&gt; ZZ and H --&gt; WW channels at the LHC facilitates a novel, complementary approach to constraining the Higgs width and couplings. I review the theoretical basis of the new approach and discuss its significance in comparison to other methods to bound and measure the Higgs width at the LHC and future colliders.
- Host: Amol Upadhye