Physics ∩ ML Seminars
Events on Wednesday, December 1st, 2021
- Uncovering the Unknowns of Deep Neural Networks: Challenges and Opportunities
- Time: 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
- Place: Chamberlin 5280 (Zoom link also available for online participants who signed up on our mailing list)
- Speaker: Sharon Li, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Abstract: The real world is open and full of unknowns, presenting significant challenges for machine learning (ML) systems that must reliably handle diverse, and sometimes anomalous inputs. Out-of-distribution (OOD) uncertainty arises when a machine learning model sees a test-time input that differs from its training data, and thus should not be predicted by the model. As ML is used for more safety-critical domains, the ability to handle out-of-distribution data are central in building open-world learning systems. In this talk, I will talk about challenges, methods, and opportunities on uncovering the unknowns of deep neural networks for reliable decision-making in an open world.
- Host: Gary Shiu