Events at Physics
We will present three ways to control valleys on a scale higher than 1 meV:
a) in a quantum well, the adoption of a barrier constituted of a layered heterostructure might lead to constructive reflection if the layer thicknesses match the electron wavelength, in analogy with a Bragg mirror ;
b) the disparity between the high valley splitting in a impurity donor potential and the low splitting in a Si/Insulator interface may be harnessed controlling the tunneling between these two states, so that the valley splitting may be controlled digitally ;
c) intrinsic Tamm/Shockley interface states might strongly hybridize with conduction states, leading to a much enhanced valley splitting[4,5], and its contribution to the 2DEG ground state may be experimentally identified .
1. D. Culcer, A. L. Saraiva, Belita Koiller, Xuedong Hu, and S. Das Sarma, PRL *108*, 126804 (2012).
2. L. Zhang, J.-W. Luo, A Saraiva, Belita Koiller, Alex Zunger, Nature Comm. *4*, 2396 (2013)
3. A. Baena, A. L. Saraiva, Belita Koiller, and M. J. CalderA3n, PRB 86, 035317 (2012).
4. K. Takashina, Y. Ono, A. Fujiwara, Y. Takahashi and Y. Hirayama, *PRL* *96, *236801 (2006).
5. A. Saraiva, Belita Koiller and M. Friesen, Phys. Rev. B *82*, 245314 (2010).
6. A. Dusko, A. Saraiva and Belita Koiller, arXiv:1310.6878 (2013).