Events at Physics
Events on Friday, October 6th, 2017
- Graduate Introductory Seminar
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Place: 4274 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Brar, Eriksson, McDermott, Onellion, Rzchowski, Winokur
- Physics Department Colloquium
- Exciton Condensates are Super!
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: 2241 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Allan MacDonald , The University of Texas at Austin
- Abstract: Electronic systems can have a type of order in which coherence is spontaneously established between two distinct groups of electrons. So far this (particle-hole or exciton condensate) type of order has been conclusively demonstrated only in double-layer two-dimensional electron gas systems, and only in certain strong magnetic field limits. I will review some of the surprising superfluid transport effects that have been observed in double-layer exciton condensates, and speculate on the possibility of engineering similar effects at room temperature either by engineering favorable conditions in van der Waals material bilayers or by designing ferromagnetic materials with appropriate properties.
- Host: Robert Joynt