Events at Physics
Events on Monday, October 4th, 2010
- Plasma Physics (Physics/ECE/NE 922) Seminar
- "Propagation of Large-scale Structures in Plasma Turbulence"
- Time: 12:05 pm
- Place: 2535 Engineering Hall
- Speaker: Olaf Grulke, MPI for Plasma Physics, Greifswald, Germany
- High Energy Seminar
- Measurement of the WW+WZ Production Cross Section in the Lepton+Jets Final State at CDF Using the Di-jet Invariant Mass.
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Place: 5310 Chamberlin
- Speaker: Pierluigi Catastini, Fermilab
- Abstract: The study of Di-boson production represents an important part of the Electroweak Physics program in 1.96 TeV p p-bar collision at the CDF experiment . Di-bosons are of great interest because they provide unique opportunities to test the Standard Model at the TeV scale. Moreover, the process WW+WZ -&amp;gt; l nu + jj shares the same event topology of WH -&amp;gt; l nu + b b-bar, the golden channel for low mass Higgs searches at CDF. As a consequence, establishing Di-boson production with jets in the final state represents a crucial milestone for the development and understanding of techniques used in Higgs boson searches at the Tevatron. In this seminar, we will focus on the observation of Di-boson production at CDF in the lepton-missing Energy +jets final state by looking at the Di-jet invariant mass.
- Host: Matthew Herndon
- Plasma Theory Seminar
- "Effects of 3D Magnetic Perturbations on Toroidal Plasmas"
- Time: 4:00 pm
- Place: 514 ERB
- Speaker: James Callen, UW-Madison Engineering Physics