Events at Physics
Events on Tuesday, February 8th, 2011
- Chaos & Complex Systems Seminar
- "How Video Games Model Agency in Complex Systems"
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Place: 4274 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Rich Halverson, UW School of Education
- Abstract: Simulations have become standard tools for research in dynamic, complex systems. Yet simulations often struggle to model how individuals make choices in such systems, often by substituting estimated probability models for direct observation of actor interaction. Contemporary immersive video games provide models for how researchers can study how actual actors interact with complex systems. In today's discussion, I will review several research approaches to understand the cognitive and socio-cultural aspects of player-videogame engagement, and discuss how the development of the next generation of video-games can outline a new form of observational research on complex system interaction.