Events at Physics
Events on Monday, March 27th, 2017
- Plasma Physics (Physics/ECE/NE 922) Seminar
- Plasma Shocks
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Place: 2317 Engineering Hall
- Speaker: Dr. Paul Drake, University of Michigan, USA
- Cosmology Journal Club
- An Informal discussion about a broad variety of arXiv papers related to Cosmology
- Time: 12:15 pm
- Place: 5242 Chamberlin Hall
- Abstract: Please visit the following link for more details:
Please feel free to bring your lunch!
If you have questions or comments about this journal club, would like to propose a topic or volunteer to introduce a paper, please email Amol Upadhye (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Host: Amol Upadhye
- Faculty Candidate Seminar
- How to find dark matter
- Time: 2:30 pm
- Place: 4274 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Dr. Bjoern Penning, University of Bristol
- Abstract: Dark Matter (DM) is a long standing puzzle in fundamental physics and the goal of a diverse research program. I will review the evidence for DM and how to search for it. Underground and astrophysical searches attempt to detect DM particles in the cosmos directly or by searching for their decay products while particle colliders attempt to produce DM in the laboratory. Each of these detection methods probe different parts of the parameter space with complementary sensitivity in mass, interaction type, and uncertainties. I will show the connection between these searches, theoretical developments that connect their search strategies and how an interdisciplinary effort can probe the entire natural phase space in the near term future.