Events at Physics
Events on Wednesday, October 7th, 2020
- Wisconsin Quantum Institute
- CQE Seminar Series: Building the second quantum revolution by training Schrödinger cats, from very fat to very fast
- Time: 11:00 am
- Place: Virtual; contact email@example.com for login info
- Speaker: Tommaso Calarco, Institute for Quantum Control, Peter Grünberg Institute at Forschungszentrum Jülich
- Abstract: Developing quantum technologies towards practical application requires exquisite control of the dynamics of multiqubit systems. Quantum optimal control offers a natural, and increasingly widespread, way to achieve this to the maximum possible extent. I will introduce the optimal control method we developed for quantum many-body systems and its remote closed-loop implementation RedCRAB, and I will report recent results we obtained with it in various physical contexts from diamond color centres to atoms in optical trap arrays, where we demonstrated optimal preparation of a 20-qubit GHZ state as well as single-atom spatial superposition states at the quantum speed limit. I will also put these specific efforts in the more global context of the European Quantum Technologies activities, including recent developments towards scientific cooperation with the US.
- Physics ∩ ML Seminar
- Machine learning as a discovery tool in hep-th
- Time: 11:00 am
- Place: Please sign up at physicsmeetsml.org for this online event.
- Speaker: Vishnu Jejjala, University of Witwatersrand
- Abstract: Machine learning provides a new tool for analyzing Big Data and Small Data in mathematics and theoretical physics. In this talk, I discuss two case studies. The first predicts the volume of the knot complement of hyperbolic knots from the Jones polynomial. The second predicts the masses of baryons such as the proton and neutron from knowledge only of the meson spectrum and distinguishes between different composition hypotheses for exotic QCD resonances. Both investigations point to the existence of new analytic formulae.
- Host: Gary Shiu
- Department Meeting
- Time: 12:15 pm
- Place: Virtual see "abstract" for connection info
- Speaker: Sridhara Dasu, Department Chair, UW-Madison
- Meeting Coordinates: Meeting number: 120 392 9242 Password: Q5EjaTz3Pk3 (75352893 from phones) Join by video system Dial firstname.lastname@example.org You can also dial 220.127.116.11 and enter your meeting number. Join by phone +1-415-655-0001 US Toll +1-312-535-8110 United States Toll (Chicago) Access code: 120 392 9242
- Host: Sridhara Dasu, Department Chair