Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, April 22nd, 2021
- Cosmology Journal Club
- Time: 12:00 pm
- Abstract: Each week, we start with a couple scheduled 15 minute talks about one's research, or an arXiv paper. The last 30 minutes will typically be open to the group for anyone to discuss an arXiv paper.
All are welcome and all fields of cosmology are appropriate.
Contact Ross Cawthon, cawthon@wisc, for more information.
Meeting ID: 93592708053, passcode: cmbadger
- Astronomy Colloquium
- "Simulating Galaxy Formation"
- Time: 3:30 pm
- Place: Zoom meeting(see Abstract ) Coffee and tea 3:30pm, Talk 3:45pm
- Speaker: Mark Vogelsberger, MIT
- Abstract: Cosmological simulations of galaxy formation have evolved significantly over the last years. In my talk I will describe recent efforts to model the large-scale distribution of galaxies with cosmological hydrodynamics simulations. I will focus on large-scale simulations like IllustrisTNG. After demonstrating the success of these simulations in terms of
reproducing an enormous amount of observational data, I will also talk about their limitations and directions for further improvements over the next couple of years.
- Host: Elena D'onghia