Events at Physics
Events on Thursday, June 17th, 2021
- NPAC (Nuclear/Particle/Astro/Cosmo) Forum
- Detection of 12 potential PeVatrons by LHAASO and Implications for Galactic Neutrino Emission and Diffuse sub-PeV Gamma-ray Emission
- Time: 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- Speaker: Ruoyu Liu, Nanjing University
- Abstract: The Large High Altitude Air Shower Observatory (LHAASO) is a multi-component instrument for TeV-PeV gamma rays and TeV-EeV cosmic rays. Very recently, LHAASO published a list of 12 sources with detection of >100 TeV gamma rays at more than 7 sigma confidence level. I will introduce this result and discuss the implications for high-energy Galactic neutrino emission and Galactic diffuse sub-PeV gamma-ray emission. (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03498-z,
- Host: Lu Lu
- Cosmology Journal Club
- Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Abstract: Each week, we start with a couple scheduled 15 minute talks about one's research, or an arXiv paper. The last 30 minutes will typically be open to the group for anyone to discuss an arXiv paper.
All are welcome and all fields of cosmology are appropriate.
Contact Ross Cawthon, cawthon@wisc, for more information.
Meeting ID: 93592708053, passcode: cmbadger