Events at Physics
Events on Tuesday, November 14th, 2023
- Network in Neutrinos, Nuclear Astrophysics, and Symmetries (N3AS) Seminar
- Free-Streaming Neutrinos in the Early Universe
- Time: 2:00 pm
- Place: Join Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 912 3071 4547
- Speaker: Benjamin Wallisch , Stockholm University & UT Austin
- Abstract: Standard Model neutrinos decoupled from the primordial plasma about one second after the big bang and have been free-streaming through the cosmos ever since. This leaves a subtle imprint in the baryon acoustic oscillations as observed in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) and large-scale structure (LSS) of the universe. Through careful theoretical considerations of the underlying physics and observables, we have been able to extract and measure the neutrino-induced phase shift in current CMB and LSS observations. In this talk, I will present the theoretical background, new data analyses and forecasts for the free-streaming nature of neutrinos, and discuss some implications for physics beyond the Standard Model.
NOTE: All participants and hosts are now required to sign into a Zoom account prior to joining meetings hosted by UC Berkeley.
- Host: Baha Balantekin
- Council Meeting
- Physics Council Meeting
- Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Place: 2314 Chamberlin Hall
- Speaker: Mark Eriksson, UW - Madison
- Host: Mark Eriksson